Sunday, March 10, 2013

3 March Joy Dare

3 Gifts Wore

1. My nike Free-runs I bought when I went to Miami in Nov ’12. These shoes are the first new runners I had bought in 4 years. Not only are they fabulous (!) but they are light and comfy and make running stairs heaps easier.
Not only do they represent my new-found dedication to health and fitness, but every day I put them on, they remind me of the freedom I felt whe...n I went to the States. I walked 17 blocks after buying those shoes, (and I also bought a pair for Tara). As I walked those blocks on my first day in South Beach I breathed my freedom, my personality, my character, my hopes, my dreams – all over again. I walked for hours that day, and I loved every minute of it, as I realised that I was doing something just for me, just for my career, just for my personal satisfaction. Every time I see my shoes, I am reminded of the changes I made so that I can have the life I want and I deserve. I’m thankful that a pair of shoes can remind of these things I hold dear.

2. when my nan died my sister and I were invited to choose some jewellery to take from her collection. My sister chose the “M” necklace and I chose her wedding band. It is two tone yellow and white gold and it has a floral engraving over the band. I love it that when I see it on my hand, it reminds me of my nan’s hand – even after her being gone three years. I still see her hands, usually cooking, or touching my shoulder or hair. She always talked with her hands too, and we always laughed about the way her second finger bent at the top due to arthritis. She would say “go straight ahead and round the corner” and just point her finger – so inspiring to learn that laughing at oneself makes you more beautiful! I am honoured to be wearing the ring she wore for over 50 years. When I get married again, it will be forever and it will be this band that stands alongside my new one - symbolically encouraging, supporting and standing up for my marriage; for trust, honesty and faithfulness.
3. Protection – that’s another thing you can wear. Today I found myself looking for my “cross” pendant, that I haven’t worn for 5 mths. I took it off when I realised I was certain of my divorce. I know what the bible says about divorce and I was gutted that I was facing it, even though I thought I knew it was wrong. All along, I see that God has His own plan for my life. And that whilst I was angry – angry enough to take my necklace off – He still stood beside me. My necklace is my symbol of protection that God is right there, guiding and encouraging me even though I feel like shit sometimes. My God is my protector against the battlefield of my mind. Against the negative thoughts that try to do my head in on a daily basis. At times today I found myself playing with my necklace in my fingers, and I know that subconsciously I am saying “Lord help me”, when I am dealing with an issue. It is nice to have something tangible to hold in times of struggle and grief and my necklace is like a constant reminder that God is bigger that my troubles and that I can depend on Him to see me thru.

No comments:

Post a Comment