Friday, October 21, 2011

What does this make us?

I am going out on a limb here....
I am sickened at the media who are gluttonous for explicit details of a man's death. First we had Saddam Hussein, then Osama Bin Laden and now Colonel Gaddafi.
YES, I know that these men were mercilous in their quest for power, they killed thousands, they injured many more. They broke families and they destroyed the hopes of thousands of small innocent children.
Even though they did all of this, why are "we" rejoicing in their demise? What does that make us?

If one of the greatest commandments of all is to "love one another", then how can our rejoicing in someone else's death (and it would seem a very painful one) make us any better than them?

Would it be better they are brought to justice, and given the chance to think about their wrongdoings and have them perhaps even turn away from it? (Says i who is not a direct victim of any of their actions).

If we are teaching our kids that two wrongs don't make a right, then this example of "lets kill the bastards" is contra to that message. It makes us hippacrites. Is that who I want to be?
Is there ever a good reason to kill another person, by engaging in saddistic, ritualistic killing?

My heart goes out to the people behind the killings. The government agencies who spend their time at work searching for a person so they can have them killed. How do you go home to your children and kiss them on the head? How do you go home to your spouse and make love with the knowledge of what you have seen and heard that day at work?

I am glad I am not a part of any of it. I am glad that these people are so far removed from my every day. I think it would weight heavily on my shoulders. I will pray for their emotional health, and thank them for their service to making my world a safer place.
But i shall also pray for the men's families that were killed in the process. For the hurts that keep on happening. For the tit-for-tat in the international war on terrorism.

Will it ever stop?

No comments:

Post a Comment